At a support group meeting you will find people with challenges similar to yours. You will meet and talk face to face with others in your community.
Participants in a support group share personal experiences with thyroid cancer, offer practical tips to help you cope with your situation, and provide emotional comfort and moral support.
Benefits of participating in support groups may include:
- Feeling less lonely, isolated, or judged
- Gaining a sense of empowerment and control
- Improved coping skills and adjustment
- An opportunity to talk openly and honestly about your feelings
- Reduction in distress, depression, or anxiety
- Clearer understanding of what to expect with your situation
- Learning about new medical research
- Getting practical information about treatment options
- Comparing notes about resources, such as doctors and options
(From information from Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, and Shady Grove Adventist Hospital, Rockville, MD)