Free Mid-Atlantic Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Workshop To Be Held on Saturday, June 11, 2011, in Silver Spring, Maryland06/2011
On Saturday, June 11, 2011, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., the 10th Annual Mid-Atlantic Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop will be held at Holy Cross Hospital, 1500 Forest Glen Road, Silver Spring, Maryland. This event is sponsored by ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association. Everyone interested in learning about thyroid cancer is welcome to attend, including people at all phases of testing, treatment, and follow-up for thyroid cancer, as well as caregivers and friends.
People may come for part or all of this free day. Medical professional speakers include:
- Andrew J. Bauer, M.D., COL MC USA, Endocrinologist, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD, and The Thyroid Center, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
- Kenneth D. Burman, M.D., Endocrinologist, Washington Hospital Center, DC
- Bruce Davidson, M.D., Otolaryngologist (Surgeon), Georgetown University Medical Center, DC
- Gary L. Francis, M.D., Ph.D., Endocrinologist, Virginia Commonwealth University, VA
- Jacqueline Jonklaas, M.D., Endocrinologist, Georgetown University Medical Center, DC
- Janet Papirmeister, B.S., R.N., Cancer Patient Navigator, Shady Grove Adventist Hospital, MD
- Douglas Van Nostrand, M.D., Nuclear Medicine Physician, Washington Hospital Center, DC
Topics will include Thyroid Cancer Questions & Answers, Follow-Up in the First Year and Over Your Lifetime, Surgery, Controversies in Using I-131, Thyrogen, Thyroid Cancer in Children and Teens, Coping with a Recent Diagnosis, Complementary Approaches for Well-Being, and Living with Thyroid Cancer over the Long Term. The day will also include Survivor/Caregiver Support Group Roundtables. Resource Tables will provide free materials with educational and support information.
Register either online on www.thyca.org, or onsite on the day of the workshop. Parking is free. The hospital is near the Beltway I-495 from the Georgia Avenue North exit (Route 97). It is also near the Forest Glen Metro Station and bus transportation. Hosts and organizers are volunteers from the ThyCa Baltimore Support Group, ThyCa Northern Virginia Support Group, ThyCa Rockville Support Group, and ThyCa Washington, DC Support Group.
ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc. is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization providing person-to-person support, support groups, the free downloadable Low-Iodine Cookbook, free online newsletter, information packets, awareness materials, free one-day workshops, and many more resources to thyroid cancer survivors, their families, and the public at no charge.
ThyCa also funds thyroid cancer research grants, sponsors Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month in September, and will hold the 14th International Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Conference in Los Angeles, California, on October 14-16, 2011.
For more information, visit our website, write PO Box 1102, Olney, MD 20830-1102, call toll-free to 877-588-7904, fax to 630-604-6078, or e-mail to email@example.com.