ThyCa News Notes - Rally for Research Issue01/2014
- Thyroid Cancer Sets New Record in 2014
- ThyCa To Award New Research Grants in 2014
- ThyCa’s Research Grants: From 2003 to Today
- Thank you, 2013 Rally for Research Volunteers and Supporters
- How To Get Involved
- 2014 Rally Events Preview
- Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter
- Tell a Friend
- Every Day
- About ThyCa NEWS NOTES and ThyCa
ThyCa (www.thyca.org) Urges Neck Checks, Provides Free Support Services, Events, Awareness Materials
A new record total of 62,980 people will be diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2014 in the United States, an increase of 4.6% over 2013. Thyroid cancer continues to increase rapidly in both women and men. Three of every four people diagnosed with thyroid cancer are women. Our web site www.thyca.org will soon have more details.
ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association Inc., announces the 12th year of our research grants program, with grants open to researchers and institutions worldwide.
ThyCa will again award 3 new grants for thyroid cancer research in 2014. Each grant will be for 2 years.
One grant is for research on follicular-cell-derived thyroid cancer (papillary, follicular, anaplastic, and variants). Another is for research on medullary thyroid cancer.
The third grant is for research on any type of thyroid cancer. It is named The Ric Blake Memorial Thyroid Cancer Research Grant, in memory and honor of ThyCa co-founder Ric Blake.
The winning grant recipients will be selected by an independent expert panel of the American Thyroid Association (ATA), the professional association of clinicians and researchers specializing in thyroid diseases. The deadline for submitting a proposal summary to ATA (www.thyroid.org) is January 31, 2014.
ThyCa began funding grants in 2003. They were the first-ever grants to be funded entirely by thyroid cancer patients, caregivers and friends. Read more at: www.thyca.org/news/grants2014
We’re proud that ThyCa has awarded more than $1.2 million for thyroid cancer research, to researchers in 5 countries: France, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, and United States.
ThyCa has awarded grants to researchers at the following institutions:
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Harvard Medical School), Boston, Massachusetts
- Cancer Center Karolinska, Stockholm, Sweden
- Cochin Institut, Paris, France
- Duke University Hospital, Durham, North Carolina
- Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, and Medical University of Gdansk, Poland
- Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois
- University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
- University Hospital Duesseldorf, Duesseldorf, Germany
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas
- University of California Los Angeles/Veterans Affairs West Los Angeles Health Care System, Los Angeles, California
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Illinois
- University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
- Washington Hospital Center/Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
ThyCa invites everyone to join us in our quest to find cures for all thyroid cancer.
As 2014 gets under way, it is important to take a moment and reflect on all the great accomplishments our volunteers, supporters, and partners helped us achieve in 2013, as well as in the future.
We can’t thank you enough as we build on the momentum of this past year and look forward to even more progress ahead.
With new drugs being tested and studies under way to improve the treatments of all thyroid cancers and quality of life for everyone with thyroid cancer, we're grateful to all the outstanding researchers working tirelessly toward our shared goals.
We won’t stop until cures are found.
Last spring, Jennifer set out on an amazing 2,650 mile hike of the challenging Pacific Crest Trail to raise awareness and funds for ThyCa.
Last summer, Rob Bohning initiated 4th Stage Cycling to bring people together through their love of bicycling and to raise funds for ThyCa's Medullary Thyroid Cancer Research.
Their accomplishments continue to inspire us all.
Thank you to all our generous financial supporters. And to the many volunteers who reached out to friends and relatives, and created superb events, raising funds and thyroid cancer awareness at the same time.
Our special thanks to:
- John Oaks, owner of the Hangin’ Tree Saloon, in San Antonio, Texas, for sponsoring the 12th Annual Megan Stendebach Memorial Golf Classic in May 2013 to benefit ThyCa.
- Scott Jordan for the 1st Annual Strokes for Hope Golf Scramble, June 2013, at Grant View Golf Club, North Braddock, Pennsylvania. See our web site for information regarding the 2014 golf scramble.
- Tina Descovich of Florida for her shopping fundraiser, following up on her great team run at the Disney Run (see photo on our home page).
- Kim Samuel and Louise Samuel of the ThyCa Southern New Jersey Support Group for their shopping bag fundraiser.
- Arlene Bregman and the ThyCa Manhattan, New York, Support Group for their wonderful Fun-D-Raiser.
- Dozens of volunteers and donors for the 12th Annual Dinner/Auction To Support Thyroid Cancer Research, held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in September.
- Lindsey and Wes Becker, Nashville, TN, for the music benefit at The Listening Room Café.
- All our year-round donors, volunteers, and supporters
We are making a tremendous difference. Thank you, one and all!
Supporting the Rally for Research and promoting thyroid cancer awareness at the same time is simple.
- wear, display, and give ThyCa spirit items—pins, wristbands, shirts, and more
- request, free of charge, ThyCa materials to give to doctor’s offices or other public information display areas,
- honor someone and their special occasion with a tribute card and donation to ThyCa in their name,
- participate or even develop a fundraising event, or
- develop your own activity.
The possibilities are many. Visit our How to Help page.
- Virtual 5k: This is actually many events, and began with a suggestion from a ThyCa member. We have developed the Virtual 5k to raise thyroid cancer awareness and funds for research. Simply choose a day that you want to run or walk a full 5k or simply around your neighborhood. Invite your friends and relatives to take part. This is an event that you can plan for any day of the year. Visit our Virtual 5K page for more information.
- Dinner/Auction: The 13th Annual Dinner/Auction To Support Thyroid Cancer Research will be held Saturday, October 18, 2014, in Denver Colorado. We invite you to attend if you can. You can also support this evening of fellowship and fundraising by donating items for the auction, whether or not you attend. 2nd Annual Strokes for Hope Golf Scramble: June 2014, at Grant View Golf Club, North Braddock, Pennsylvania.
- More Events Being Planned: Join one of the events, or create your own fundraiser! Thank you!
We're now over 8,700 strong on the ThyCa Facebook page and over 1,700 on Twitter
Our support of each other--whether giving or receiving--is an incredible gift. Thank you for joining us.
You can help others find the free support, education, and communication that ThyCa provides. We serve people in countries around the world, and reach more people every day.
An easy way to spread the word and help others is to e-mail a link to the home page www.thyca.org. Use your web browser's function "e-mail a link to this page," so that the link to our home page will be placed into an e-mail message that you can send, or else just type in the link address yourself.
top of page
Every day, thousands of people with thyroid cancer, and their families, give and receive support, education, and hope from ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association, Inc.
Your generous support is what makes it possible to sustain, strengthen, and expand our services and outreach and our thyroid cancer research grants.
It only takes a minute to make a donation online (www.thyca.org/donations/) in support of ThyCa's work (or you are welcome to donate by mail to ThyCa, P.O. Box 964, Chesterfield, MO 63006-0964).
Please share ThyCa News Notes with your family and friends. For permission to reprint in another electronic or print publication, please contact us at email@example.com.
The information in this newsletter is intended for educational purposes only. It is not intended, nor should it be interpreted, as medical advice or directions of any kind. Readers are advised to consult their own medical doctor(s) for all matters involving their health and medical care.
ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization (tax ID #52-2169434) of thyroid cancer survivors, family members, and health care professionals serving people worldwide and dedicated to education, support, communication, and fundraising for thyroid cancer research.
ThyCa sponsors the annual International Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Conference, as well as Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month, a worldwide observance each September, plus year-round awareness campaigns, research funding, and thyroid cancer research grants.
Contact us for free materials and information. E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org call toll-free at 1-877-588-7904, fax 1-630-604-6078, write to ThyCa, PO Box 1102, Olney, MD 20830-1102, or visit our website.